Sunday, April 19, 2009

Magyk


I just finished Magyk by Angie Sage. It's the first book in the Septimus Heap Series, and I actually really enjoyed it. (from an Amazon review)..."With a colorful cast of fully drawn characters, creative plots, and pure imagination and control over her world, Sage takes her first plunge into the world of children's' novels and succeeds wonderfully. It's not the magic that makes Magyk such a great novel, it's the characters. Readers will race along with the thoughts, emotions, and experiences of the quirky main characters of Jenna (a girl who just might be Queen), Boy 412 (a mysterious child from the young Army), Marcia (The very fashionable Extraordinary Wizard), and Nicko (Jenna's brother and sailor)."
The book was a bit predictable, but I thought it was a lot of fun. I wouldn't compare it to Harry Potter... but thought it a great read for middle school age readers and above. There is a fun website if you want to find out more about this series:
http://www.septimusheap.com/

1 comment:

Emily said...

I really liked this whole series. I'm glad you got into this book too. There pretty great.