Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Calder Game


Author: Blue Balliett ages: 10+
I just read the Calder Game while I've been in the hospital with Caleb. I really enjoyed it! This is the third book in a series, but can stand on it's own if you haven't read the other two. There was a great mystery with secret codes and fun characters! The setting takes place in England instead of Chicago like the other two. A famous sculpture disappears, a child in the trio goes missing, and the town is full of shadey characters. I really enjoyed the other two book in this series as well: Chasing Vermeer, and The Wright Three. Sometimes the writing is a bit scattered, but over-all I think these books are a lot of fun! The illustrations are inviting and usually have something hidden in them. I like how these books also create an interrest in art! With all 3, I've learned more about the artists mentioned because I was hooked after reading the books!
Want to learn more? visit http://www.scholastic.com/blueballiett/caldergame.htm

No comments: